Monday, April 5, 2010

Growing Old Together

I wonder when it happened.  Did the two of them decide to call a truce?  My dog and cat seemed to be at peace with one another.  Finally.

My dog Bella was two years old when Katie our cat walked into our lives.  Bella has always been curious about Katie but kept her distance.  Katie has always been fiesty and made it clear that she would not tolerate being smelled.  Katie seemed to like our other dog Reno (who recently passed away).  She weighs about 11 pounds, Reno weighed over 60.  Katie was his boss.  Poor Reno!  I often caught Katie swiping at Reno as he passed by her.  She would stare at him until he moved from the bed she wanted to lay on.  I would often find them sleeping together on the cold nights.  Bella had her own bed.  I believed they had a mutual understanding to stay away from each other.  For over 12 years that's what their relationship was - separate.

In the last couple of weeks, maybe they finally noticed Reno's absence and felt they had no choice but to interact.  I caught Bella a few times whining over a bed with Katie.  Katie would not budge.  But lately, they have been sleeping next to one another.  Bella is now 13 and Katie is 11.  With our 6 year old (going on 30!) and our new baby, life has been hectic.  It's nice to see that they have each other.  I hope that somewhere somehow they reached an agreement to accept one another and live amicably.  I hope that they learn to love one another as we love them individually.  If Reno was here (or maybe he's the one who convinced them?) he would be sleeping in the middle of them.  We'll see how long this lasts...

No comments:

Post a Comment